Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Odom's Sweetheart (Blc Toshie Aoki x Slc Wendy's Valentine) 'Red Beauty'

I bought this litttle guy (along with a few others) when I was vacationing in Waikiki (Oct 13th, 2001). I pretty much fell in love with this miniature the day it bloomed; which was about 2 years later. I regretted not buying more because it was cheap, a mere $7 and that I watered mine to death. I managed to order online from the original orchid nursery in Honolulu but I also ended up killing them by over watering them. Now 2007, I decided to try replacing them but found they were no longer available. I did find then at another online place called orchids.com but they were now $18 a pop. I bought two but found them to be rather small. I've planted them in a bonsai pot with Dyna-Rok II, in an attempt to grow it in semi-hydroponic (will upload pics). I hope one day this plant will be popular again and get cloned like hell. I'd like to get another one because it's now no longer available, pretty much anywhere, online.

The guy with the yellow shirt, in front of the field of Cattleyas is me. This was taken at the orchid show, where I got 'Red Beauty'. Man, I was thin back then… gotta loose weight!

No comments: